Duration of Self-Employment in Developing Countries: Evidence from Small Enterprises in Zimbabwe
AbstractThe duration of self-employment is an important policy consideration in developing countries. We use data from a sample of the self-employed in Zimbabwe to compute hazard rates by location and economic sector of the activity. We partition the data by date of entry to assess the impact of economic liberalization measures. Our results show that cost of finance, along with location and sector to be important variables in explaining duration. We then partition our sample in order to control for the effects of location, year of entry and type of activity. Our sub-samples thus consist of individuals facing the same history of macroeconomic trends in similar locations and activities. The results show that personal characteristics are significant in explaining differences between individuals in the duration of self-employment. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010.
"Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness,"
Lecturas de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
- Millán, José María & Congregado, Emilio & Román, Concepción, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," REVISTA LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2003046 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Pierre Garello, 2011.
"Tax Structure and Entrepreneurship,"
CAE Working Papers
94, Aix-Marseille Université, CERGAM.
- José Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2012. "Determinants of self-employment survival in Europe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 231-258, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.