A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets
AbstractIn this article, we show how the order of Linear Stochastic Dominance proposed by Gollier (1995) can be applied to situations with dependent risky assets. This order was shown to be the least constrained necessary and sufficient condition to guarantee that all risk-averse agents reduce their risky position when an increase in risk is imposed. This was done in a model with only one source of risk, as in the standard portfolio problem with one safe asset and one risky asset. We obtain the necessary and sufficient condition for a change in the joint distribution of returns to yield an unambiguous comparative statics result when the two assets are risky. We show in particular that the concept of Linear Stochastic Dominance is sufficient to generate the desired result. These results are linked to existing sufficient conditions in the one-safe-one-risky-asset model, as the condition of strong increase in risk or the monotone likelihood ratio order. They are also compared to those in models where restrictions are on the set of concave utility functions. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 13 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
Other versions of this item:
- Dionne, G. & Gollier, C., 1996. "A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets," Papers 9609, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- G. Dionne & C. Gollier, 1996. "A model of comparative statics for changes in stochastic returns with dependent risky assets," THEMA Working Papers 96-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dionne, G. & Gollier, C., 1996. "A Model Of Comparative Statics For Changes in Stochastic Returns With Dependent Risky Assets," Papers 96.420, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- DIONNE, Georges & GOLLIER, Christian, 1995. "A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets," Cahiers de recherche 9560, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Gollier & Edward E. Schlee, 2006.
"Increased Risk-Bearing with Background Risk,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 0(1), pages 3.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P., Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M, 1996.
"On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited,"
Cahiers de recherche
9628, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Amigues, Jean-Pierre & Favard, Pascal & Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel, 1998. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute Is Limited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 153-170, May.
- Amigues, J.-P. & Favard, P. & Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M., 1996. "On The Optimal Order of Natural Resourse Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Papers 96.431, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P, Gaudet, G & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dachraoui, Kais & Dionne, Georges, 2001.
"Stochastic dominance and optimal portfolio,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 347-354, June.
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 2001. "Stochastic Dominance and Optimal Portfolio," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 01-01, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- K. Dachraoui & G. Dionne, 2001. "Stochastic Dominance and Optimal Portfolio," THEMA Working Papers 2001-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Choi, Gyemyung & Kim, Iltae & Snow, Arthur, 2000. "Comparative statics predictions for the cross-effects of central dominance changes in risk with quasilinear payoffs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 41-48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.