Anatomy of an ARM: The Interest-Rate Risk of Adjustable-Rate Mortgages
AbstractThis article analyzes the dynamics of the commonly used indices for adjustable rate mortgages and systematically compares the effects of their time-series properties on the interest-rate sensitivity of adjustable-rate mortgages. Our ARM valuation methodology allows us simultaneously to capture the effects of index dynamics, discrete coupon adjustment, mortgage prepayment, and both lifetime and periodic caps and floors. We can, moreover, either calculate an optimal prepayment strategy for mortgage holders or use an empirical prepayment function. We find that the different dynamics of the major ARM indices lead to significant variation in the interest-rate sensitivities of loans based on different indices. We also find that changing assumptions about contract features, such as loan caps and coupon reset frequency, has a significant, and in some cases unexpected, impact on our results. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003.
"Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice,"
NBER Working Papers
9759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003. "Household Risk Management And Optimal Mortgage Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1449-1494, November.
- Campbell, John & Cocco, Joao, 2003. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Scholarly Articles 3157876, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1946, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- John Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 47, Society for Computational Economics.
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 646, Econometric Society.
- Brahima Coulibaly & Geng Li, 2007.
"Choice of mortgage contracts: evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brahima Coulibaly & Geng Li, 2009. "Choice of Mortgage Contracts: Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 659-673.
- Jane Dokko & Brian Doyle & Michael T. Kiley & Jinill Kim & Shane Sherlund & Jae Sim & Skander Van den Heuvel, 2009. "Monetary policy and the housing bubble," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Y. Campbell, 2006.
NBER Working Papers
12149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svenstrup, Mikkel, 2003. "Valuation of Path-Dependent Interest Rate Derivatives in a Finite Difference Setup," Finance Working Papers 02-21, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Isil Erol & Kanak Patel, 2007. "Pricing the Default Option of Inflation-Indexed Mortgages Using Explicit Finite Difference Method," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 10(1), pages 48-92.
- Svenstrup, Mikkel, 2002. "Mortgage Choice - The Danish Case," Finance Working Papers 02-22, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.