A Shapley-based decomposition of the R-Square of a linear regression
AbstractThis note suggests a new way of determining the exact contributions of the explanatory variables to the R-Square of a linear regression. The proposed methodology combines the so-called Shapley approach (Chantreuil and Trannoy, Inequality decomposition values: the trade-off between marginality and consistency. THEMA Discussion Paper, Université de Cergy-Pontoise, France 1999; Shorrocks, Decomposition Procedures for Distributional Analysis: A Unified Framework Based on the Shapley Value (mimeo), University of Essex, 1999) with the Fields (Res. Labor Econ., 22:1–38, 2003) decomposition. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Economic Inequality.
Volume (Year): 5 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=111137
inequality decomposition; R-Square; Shapley value; C20; D63;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mercedes Sastre & Alain Trannoy, 2002. "Shapley inequality decomposition by factor components: Some methodological issues," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 51-89, December.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- F. Chantreuil & A. Trannoy, 1999.
"Inequality decomposition values : the trade-off between marginality and consistency,"
THEMA Working Papers
99-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Chantreuil, F. & Trannoy, A., 1999. "Inequality Decomposition Values: the Trade-Off Between Marginality and Consistency," Papers 99-24, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Fei, John C H & Rainis, Gustav & Kuo, Shirley W Y, 1978. "Growth and the Family Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 17-53, February.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Pyatt, Graham & Chen, Chau-nan & Fei, John, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-73, November.
- Slonimczyk, Fabian, 2011.
"Earnings inequality and skill mismatch in the U.S.: 1973-2002,"
35449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabián Slonimczyk, 2013. "Earnings inequality and skill mismatch in the U.S.: 1973–2002," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 163-194, June.
- Christian Dustmann & Anna Okatenko, 2013.
"Out-migration, Wealth Constraints, and the Quality of Local Amenities,"
Norface Discussion Paper Series
2013017, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Christian Dustmann & Anna Okatenko, 2013. "Out-migration, Wealth Constraints, and the Quality of Local Amenities," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1313, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Hüttner, Frank & Sunder, Marco, 2011. "Decomposing R2 with the Owen value," Working Papers 100, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
- Sebastian Leitner & Robert Stehrer, 2009. "Determinants of Inequality in Selected SEE Countries: Results from Shapley Value Decompositions," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 84, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Dumas, Audrey & Silber, Jacques, 2013. "Estimating an educational production function for five countries of Latin America on the basis of the PISA data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 245-262.
- Sebastian Leitner & Robert Stehrer, 2011. "Subgroup and Shapely Value Decompositions of Multidimensional Inequality: An Application to South East European Countries," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 96, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Jean-Marie Grether & Nicole Mathys & Jaime de Melo, 2009. "Scale, Technique and Composition Effects in Manufacturing SO 2 Emissions," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 257-274, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.