Corporatisation and Corporate Governance in China's Economic Transition
AbstractChina has sought to improve enterprise performance not through privatisation as in other transition economies, but through corporatisation as means of improving corporate governance. Actual governance practices of corporatised Chinese firms are however seriously defective, characterized by excessive power of CEOs, insider control and collusion, lack of safeguards for minority shareholders and weak transparency. These shortcomings are attributable to factors such as cultural and political traditions, uncompetitiveness of markets, poor legal enforcement, weak debt and equity markets, but above all to continued state dominance in ownership and control of the corporate sector and listed companies. Corporatisation, nevertheless, has created a regime conducive to implementing measures for improving corporate governance. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Planning.
Volume (Year): 34 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Fan, Dennis K.K. & Young, Michael N. & Wu, Shukun, 2007. "Corporate governance effectiveness during institutional transition," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 425-448, August.
- Langnan Chen & Steven Li & Yijia Chen, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Corporate Performance: Some Evidence from Newly Listed Firms on Chinese Stock Markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 204, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Mishra, Anil V. & Ratti, Ronald A., 2011. "Governance, monitoring and foreign investment in Chinese companies," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-188, June.
- Hovey, Martin & Naughton, Tony, 2007. "A survey of enterprise reforms in China: The way forward," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 138-156, June.
- Clarke, Donald C., 2003. "Corporate governance in China: An overview," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 494-507.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.