On the Construction of Monthly Term Structures of U.S. Interest Rates, 1919-1930
AbstractThis paper presents the methodology used to construct reliable estimates of the term structure of interest rates for the United States during 1919-30. These monthly term structures are based on individual corporate bonds' price quotations for the majority of U.S. railroad corporations' issues of that era. J. McCulloch's (1971, 1975) cubic spline methodology, coupled with C. Nelson and A. Siegel's (1987) parsimonious estimator, is used to derive curves for three investment-grade risk classes. These estimates compare favorably with D. Durand's (1958) hand-smoothed estimates as well as earlier annual estimates generated by C. Thies (1985). They provide a consistent basis a wide range of monetary and financial research on this period. Citation Copyright 1992 by Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Computational Economics in its journal Computer Science in Economics & Management.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christopher F. Baum & Clifford F. Thies, 1997.
"Reexamining the Term Structure of Interest Rates and the Interwar Demand for Money,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
384, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christopher Baum & Clifford Thies, 1998. "Reexamining the term structure of interest rates and the interwar demand for money," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 5-12, June.
- Hautcoeur, P-C. & Sicsic, P., 1998.
"Threat of a Capital Levy, Expected Devaluation and Interest Rates in France during the Interwar Period,"
50, Banque de France.
- Hautcoeur, Pierre-Cyrille & Sicsic, Pierre, 1999. "Threat of a capital levy, expected devaluation and interest rates in France during the interwar period," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 25-56, April.
- Hautcoeur, P. C. & Sicsic, P., 1998. "Threat of a capital levy, expected devaluation and interest rates in France during the interwar period," DELTA Working Papers 98-01, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Stephen R. Blough, 1994. "Yield curve forecasts of inflation: a cautionary tale," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 3-16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.