Minimax Hedging Strategy
AbstractWe present several variants of a robust risk management strategy based on minimax for the writer of a European call option on a stock and show that it performs at least as well as the standard hedging strategy, delta hedging. When using the minimax strategy, the hedger specifies a worst case scenario in terms of the price of the underlying stock. The minimax strategy recommends the number of shares in the underlying stock the hedger should hold in order to minimize the hedging error against the worst case occurring. The minimax hedging error may correspond to an extreme point of the price range being considered or to a mid-range solution. Simulation and empirical results suggest that the minimax strategy is particularly powerful for hedging the risk of writing an option when the price of the underlying stock is both highly volatile and crosses over the exercise frequently. Citation Copyright 1994 by Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Computational Economics in its journal Computational Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rustem, Berc & Becker, Robin G. & Marty, Wolfgang, 2000. "Robust min-max portfolio strategies for rival forecast and risk scenarios," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1591-1621, October.
- Roorda, B. & Engwerda, J.C. & Schumacher, J.M., 1999. "Performance of Delta-hedging strategies in interval models - A robustness study," Discussion Paper 1999-05, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Howe, M. A. & Rustem, B. & Selby, M. J. P., 1996. "Multi-period minimax hedging strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 185-204, August.
- Zymler, Steve & Rustem, Berç & Kuhn, Daniel, 2011. "Robust portfolio optimization with derivative insurance guarantees," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 410-424, April.
- Howe, M. A. & Rustem, B., 1997. "A robust hedging algorithm," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1092, June.
- Gulpinar, Nalan & Rustem, Berc, 2007. "Robust optimal decisions with imprecise forecasts," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3595-3611, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.