Optimal Nonlinear Income Taxation with a Two-Dimensional Population; A Computational Approach
AbstractWe consider the optimal income tax problem when income differences are due to differences in abilities and in preferences between consumption and leisure among individuals. We model this problem as an optimal control problem and develop a numerical method for solving it. The method is based on the expansion of state and control variables in Lagrange series and on a spectral collocation method for approximating state equations. In this way the optimal control problem is reduced to a parameter optimization problem. The problem is difficult to solve, but we managed to do so with some limitations. On the basis of our calculations we conclude that the tax system in the two-dimensional case is more redistributive compared to that obtained from the one-dimensional model. Citation Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Computational Economics in its journal Computational Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blomquist, Sören & Christiansen, Vidar, 2004.
"Taxation and Heterogeneous Preferences,"
Working Paper Series
2004:9, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Henrik Jordahl & Luca Micheletto, 2003.
"Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
977, CESifo Group Munich.
- Henrik Jordahl & Luca Micheletto, 2005. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(4), pages 681-708, October.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Micheletto, Luca, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Ratio Working Papers 17, The Ratio Institute.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Luca Micheletto, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 107, Royal Economic Society.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Micheletto, Luca, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Working Paper Series 2002:19, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Bastani, Spencer & Blomquist, Sören & Micheletto, Luca, 2010.
"Public Provision of Private Goods, Tagging and Optimal Income Taxation with Heterogeneity in Needs,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2010:14, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Spencer Bastani & Sören Blomquist & Luca Micheletto, 2010. "Public Provision of Private Goods, Tagging and Optimal Income Taxation withHeterogeneity in Needs," CESifo Working Paper Series 3275, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.