Week to Week Attendance and Competitive Balance in the National Football League
AbstractWe develop a quality adjusted professional sports franchise price index for North America based on the repeat sale method and a hybrid method originally applied to house prices. For the repeat sale method, the index reflects trends in the general price of franchises holding market, facility and team quality constant. The constant quality constant assumption in the repeat sale model may affect the price index, so we also use a hybrid model as an alternative. The repeat sale method price index exhibits considerable volatility but no upward trend over time, unlike previous quality adjusted price indexes based on hedonic models. The lack of an upward trend in the index indicates that franchise quality drives observed increases in prices over the past 40 years. The hybrid method exhibits price index shows a steady increase beginning in about 1990. This difference can be explained by changes in market population and facility characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fitness Information Technology in its journal International Journal of Sport Finance.
Volume (Year): 5 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fitinfotech.com/
Other versions of this item:
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2010. "Week to Week Attendance and Competitive Balance in the National Football League," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(4), pages 239-252, November.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2011.
"Game Attendance and Competitive Balance in the National Hockey League,"
1114, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad, 2011. "Game Attendance and Competitive Balance in the National Hockey League," Working Papers 2011-8, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2011. "Game Attendance and Competitive Balance in the National Hockey League," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 11-130, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad & Zhou, Li, 2012. "Outcome Uncertainty, Reference-Dependent Preferences and Live Game Attendance," Working Papers 2012-7, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.