Portfolio Diversification and Return Benefits--Common Stock vs. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
AbstractThis research examines the effects of diversification on the reduction of total portfolio risk in real estate investment trusts (REITs) and mixed-asset portfolios. In addition, overall performance measures are calculated and compared among REIT, common stock, and mixed-asset portfolios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 2 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Miles & Tom Mc Cue, 1982. "Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 184-199.
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- Fisher, Lawrence & Lorie, James H, 1970. "Some Studies of Variability of Returns on Investments in Common Stocks," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 99-134, April.
- Friedman, Harris C., 1971. "Real Estate Investment and Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 861-874, March.
- Roger M. Shelor & Dwight C. Anderson, 1998. "The Financial Performance of REITs Following Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 375-388.
- Schmidt, Daniel, 2003. "Private equity-, stock- and mixed asset-portfolios: A bootstrap approach to determine performance characteristics, diversification benefits and optimal portfolio allocations," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/12, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- F.C. Neil Myer & James R. Webb, 1993. "Return Properties of Equity REITs, Common Stocks, and Commercial Real Estate: A Comparison," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 87-106.
- Pat Wilson & John Okunev & Guy Ta, 1995. "Measuring the Degree of Integration Amongst Domestic and International Real Estate and Financial Assets Markets," Working Paper Series 49, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- John L. Crain & Mike Cudd & Christopher L. Brown, 2000. "The Impact of the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1993 on the Pricing Structure of Equity REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 275-285.
- Maria Mansanet-Bataller, 2011. "CO2 Prices and Portfolio Management during Phase II of the EU ETS," Working Papers 1101, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Stephen F. Thode & Richard J. Kish, 1994. "The Zero-Coupon/Interest-Only Fixed-Rate Mortgage: An Alternative for Funding Low-to-Moderate Income Housing," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(2), pages 263-276.
- Armonat, Stefan & Pfnür, Andreas, 2002. "Basel II and the German credit crunch?," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35585, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Ming-Chi Chen & Chi-Lu Peng & So-De Shyu & Jhih-Hong Zeng, 2012. "Market States and the Effect on Equity REIT Returns due to Changes in Monetary Policy Stance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 364-382, August.
- Youguo Liang & Arjun Chatrath & Willard McIntosh, 1996. "Apartment REITs and Apartment Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(3), pages 277-290.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.