Coordinating Investment, Production, and Subcontracting
AbstractWe value the option of subcontracting to improve financial performance and system coordination by analyzing a competitive stochastic investment game with recourse. The manufacturer and subcontractor decide separately on their capacity investment levels. Then demand uncertainty is resolved and both parties have the option to subcontract when deciding on their production and sales. We analyze and present outsourcing conditions for three contract types: (1) price-only contractswhere an ex-ante transfer price is set for each unit supplied by the subcontractor; (2) incomplete contracts, where both parties negotiate over the subcontracting transfer; and (3) state-dependentprice-only and incomplete contracts for which we show an equivalence result. While subcontracting with these three contract types can coordinate productiondecisions in the supply system, only state-dependent contracts can eliminate all decentralization costs and coordinate capacity investmentdecisions. The minimally sufficient price-only contract that coordinates our supply chain specifies transfer prices for a small number (6 in our model) of contingent scenarios. Our game-theoretic model allows the analysis of the role of transfer prices and of the bargaining power of buyer and supplier. We find that sometimes firms may be better off leaving some contract parameters unspecified ex-ante and agreeing to negotiate ex-post. Also, a price-focused strategy for managing subcontractors can backfire because a lower transfer price may decrease the manufacturer's profit. Finally, as with financial options, the option value of subcontracting increases as markets are more volatile or more negatively correlated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
coordination; production; subcontracting; outsourcing; supply contracts; supply chain; capacity; investment;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agrell, P.J.Per J. & Lindroth, Robert & Norrman, Andreas, 2004. "Risk, information and incentives in telecom supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Luigi Moretti & Paola Valbonesi, 2012. "Subcontracting in Public Procurement: An Empirical Investigation," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0154, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Plambeck, Erica L. & Taylor, Terry A., 2004. "Implications of Breach Remedy and Renegotiation for Design of Supply Contracts," Research Papers 1888, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Rich, Karl M. & Baker, Derek & Negassa, Asfaw & Ross, R. Brent, 2009. "Concepts, applications, and extensions of value chain analysis to livestock systems in developing countries," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51922, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arend, Richard J. & Wisner, Joel D., 2005. "Small business and supply chain management: is there a fit?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 403-436, May.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- Benaroch, Michel & Webster, Scott & Kazaz, Burak, 2012. "Impact of sourcing flexibility on the outsourcing of services under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 272-283.
- Wang, Li Ming & Liu, Li Wen & Wang, Yong Jie, 2007. "Capacity decisions and supply price games under flexibility of backward integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1-2), pages 85-96, October.
- Rich, Karl M. & Ross, R. Brent & Baker, A. Derek & Negassa, Asfaw, 2011. "Quantifying value chain analysis in the context of livestock systems in developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 214-222, April.
- Bish, Ebru K. & Hong, Seong J., 2006. "Coordinating the resource investment decision for a two-market, price-setting firm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 63-88, May.
- Corbett, Charles J. & DeCroix, Gregory A. & Ha, Albert Y., 2005. "Optimal shared-savings contracts in supply chains: Linear contracts and double moral hazard," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(3), pages 653-667, June.
- Li, Hongyan & Meissner, Joern, 2011.
"Competition under capacitated dynamic lot-sizing with capacity acquisition,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 535-544, June.
- Hongyan Li & Joern Meissner, 2006. "Competition under Dynamic Lot Sizing Costs with Capacity Acquisition," Working Papers MRG/0006, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Apr 2010.
- Plambeck, Erica L. & Taylor, Terry A., 2004. "Implications of Renegotiation for Optimal Contract Flexibility and Investment," Research Papers 1889, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Qi, Xiangtong, 2011. "Outsourcing and production scheduling for a two-stage flow shop," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 43-50, January.
- Ni, Debing & Li, Kevin W. & Tang, Xiaowo, 2009. "Production costs, scope economies, and multi-client outsourcing under quantity competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 130-140, September.
- Michele Moretto & Gianpaolo Rossini, 2008.
"Vertical Integration and Operational Flexibility,"
2008.37, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- ROELS, Guillaume & CHEVALIER, Philippe & WEI, Ying, 2012. "United we stand? Coordinating capacity investment and allocation in joint ventures," CORE Discussion Papers 2012045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boulaksil, Youssef & Fransoo, Jan C., 2009. "Order release strategies to control outsourced operations in a supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 149-160, May.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Stenbacka, Rune, 2007. "Partial outsourcing: A real options perspective," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 91-102, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.