Capacity Expansion and Replacement in Growing Markets with Uncertain Technological Breakthroughs
AbstractThe accelerated pace of technological change has led to rapid obsolescence of productive capacity in electronics and other industries. Managers must consider the impact of future technologies while making acquisition and replacement decisions in such environments. We consider a problem where a sequence of technological breakthroughs are anticipated but their magnitude and timing are uncertain. A firm, operating in such an environment, must decide how much capacity of the current technology to acquire to meet future demand growth. It must also determine whether to upgrade any of the older vintages. We formulate this problem and present some structural results. Using these results, we then develop a highly efficient regeneration point-based dynamic programming algorithm. The effectiveness of the proposed algorithm is illustrated through a computational study. The sensitivity of the first period decision to various parameters is also explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Capacity Expansion; Equipment Replacement; Technology Adoption models; Stochastic Dynamic Programming; Management of Technology;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yatsenko, Yuri & Hritonenko, Natali, 2008. "Properties of optimal service life under technological change," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 230-238, July.
- Hadjinicola, George C. & Soteriou, Andreas C., 2003. "Reducing the cost of defects in multistage production systems: A budget allocation perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 621-634, March.
- Chand, Suresh & McClurg, Tim & Ward, Jim, 2000. "A model for parallel machine replacement with capacity expansion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 519-531, March.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1999.
"Strategic Technology Investment under Uncertainty,"
1999-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1998.
"Strategic Investment in Technological Innovations,"
1998-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cao, M.F. & Huang, G.H. & Lin, Q.G., 2010. "Integer programming with random-boundary intervals for planning municipal power systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2506-2516, August.
- Porteus, Evan L. & Angelus, Alexandar & Wood, Samuel C., 2000. "Optimal Sizing and Timing of Modular Capacity Expansions," Research Papers 1479r2, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Rahman, Atiqur & Loulou, Richard, 2001. "Technology acquisition with technological progress: effects of expectations, rivalry and uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 159-185, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.