Portfolio Performance and the Investment Horizon
AbstractFollowing the equilibrium model which has been developed by Sharpe, Lintner and Treynor, several authors have developed one-parameter indexes as measures of performance. In this paper, it is shown that as long as the "true" horizon does not coincide with the horizon assumed in the empirical research, the one-parameter indexes contain a systematic bias, even when one assumes a perfect market. In conducting empirical research or in evaluating the performance of the management of a portfolio, more attention should be devoted to the selection of the investment horizon, since the magnitude as well as the direction of the systematic bias is a function of this factor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 18 (1972)
Issue (Month): 12 (August)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jea, Rong & Lin, Jin-Lung & Su, Chao-Ton, 2005. "Correlation and the time interval in multiple regression models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 433-441, April.
- Darolles, Serge & Gourieroux, Christian, 2010. "Conditionally fitted Sharpe performance with an application to hedge fund rating," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 578-593, March.
- Prakash, Arun J. & Chang, Chun-Hao & Pactwa, Therese E., 2003. "Selecting a portfolio with skewness: Recent evidence from US, European, and Latin American equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1375-1390, July.
- Levy, Haim & Schwarz, Gideon, 1997. "Correlation and the time interval over which the variables are measured," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 341-350.
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/9108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chaudhury, M. M. & Lee, C. F., 1997. "Functional form of stock return model: Some international evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 151-183.
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.