Demand Complementarities, Household Production, and Retail Assortments
AbstractThis paper presents a formal model of retail demand, based upon a household production framework, that permits rigorous analysis of retail assortments. The model captures the essential shifting of distribution costs between retailers and consumers that manifests itself in retailers' provision of distribution services for consumers. We apply the model to define rigorously conventional retailing concepts, such as assortment breadth and depth, and to explain the appearance of certain well-known phenomena such as market-basket pricing, nonprice retail competition, and the incentives for retail agglomerations to form. Throughout, distribution services play a critical role in binding together the analytical model and the diverse reality giving rise to retail assortments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 9 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
retail assortments; distribution services; consumption activities; demand complementarities;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emek Basker & Shawn Klimek & Pham Hoang Van, 2008.
"Supersize It: The Growth of Retail Chains and the Rise of the "Big Box" Retail Format,"
08-23r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Sep 2011.
- Emek Basker & Shawn Klimek & Pham Hoang Van, 2008. "Supersize It - The Growth of Retail Chains and the Rise of the "Big Box" Retail Format," Working Papers 0809, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 30 Sep 2010.
- Bonanno, Alessandro & Lopez, Rigoberto A., 2007.
"Competition Effects of Supermarket Services,"
2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN
9833, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bonanno, Alessandro & Lopez, Rigoberto, 2007. "Competition Effects of Supermarket Services," Research Reports 149176, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Alessandro Bonanno & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2007. "Competition Effects of Supermarket Services," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 094, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- D. VAN DEN POEL & Jan J. DE SCHAMPHELAERE & G. WETS, 2003. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Retail Promotions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/202, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach, 2008. "Complementarities, Below-Cost Pricing, and Welfare Losses," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 788, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Keh, Hean Tat & Chu, Singfat, 2003. "Retail productivity and scale economies at the firm level: a DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 75-82, April.
- Roger Betancourt & Monica Cortiñas & Margarita Elorz & Jose Mugica, 2007. "The demand for and the supply of distribution services: A basis for the analysis of customer satisfaction in retailing," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 293-312, September.
- Bonanno, Alessandro & Chenarides, Lauren & Goetz, Stephan J., 2012. "Limited Food Access as an Equilibrium Outcome: An Empirical Analysis," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123196, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Raajpoot, Nusser A. & Sharma, Arun & Chebat, Jean-Charles, 2008. "The role of gender and work status in shopping center patronage," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(8), pages 825-833, August.
- Esbjerg, Lars & Grunert, Klaus G. & Bech-Larsen, Tino & Juhl, Hans Jørn & Brunsø, Karen, 2005. "MANUFACTURER AND RETAILER BRANDS IN FOOD RETAIL ASSORTMENTS Notes from a shopping trip across Europe," MAPP Working Papers 85, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre.
- Dippold, Katrin & Hruschka, Harald, 2010. "Variable Selection for Market Basket Analysis," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 443, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.