A Market Response Model for Coupon Promotions
AbstractAn econometric market response model for measuring the effect of coupon promotions upon market share is developed and estimated. In addition to the brand's own couponing efforts, the model takes into account retailer promotions for the brand as well as competitive couponing activity. The model is multi-equation, simultaneous, and is estimated using scanner panel data. Results indicate that coupons have a pronounced effect upon market share, although the effect varies from brand to brand and may not be strong enough for some brands for couponing to be profitable in the short term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 9 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
market response models; sales promotion; couponing; coupon profitability;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shor, Mikhael & Oliver, Richard L., 2006. "Price discrimination through online couponing: Impact on likelihood of purchase and profitability," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 423-440, June.
- Guimond, Lisa & Kim, Chankon & Laroche, Michel, 2001. "An investigation of coupon-prone consumers: Their reactions to coupon feature manipulations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 131-137, November.
- Ajay Kalra & Mengze Shi, 2002. "Consumer Value-Maximizing Sweepstakes & Contests: A Theoretical and Experimental Investigation," Review of Marketing Science Working Papers 1-3-1008, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Aviv Nevo & Catherine Wolfram, 1999. "Prices and Coupons for Breakfast Cereals," NBER Working Papers 6932, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laroche, Michel & Kalamas, Maria & Huang, Qinchao, 2005. "Effects of coupons on brand categorization and choice of fast foods in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 674-686, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.