Loss Leader Pricing and Rain Check Policy
AbstractLoss leader pricing and rain check policies are common in retail markets, yet research on these topics is surprisingly scarce. In this paper, we study the effects of leader pricing and rain check policy on stores' profits and market outcomes. Suppose stores can accurately predict demand. Might they still run out of stock? We investigate whether such a result is plausible when stores can offer rain checks. The paper also helps resolve an issue that has recently attracted much attention: Should the FTC repeal its rule prohibiting stock outs of advertised sale items?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 6 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
pricing; loss leaders; rain checks; featuring;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Allender, William J. & Richards, Timothy J., 2009. "Measures of Brand Loyalty," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49536, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rhodes, Andrew, 2011. "Multiproduct pricing and the Diamond Paradox," MPRA Paper 32511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2013. "Optimal Strategy Of Multi-Product Retailers With Relative Thinking And Reference Prices," Working Papers 1313, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Raju, Jagmohan S., 1995. "Theoretical models of sales promotions: Contributions, limitations, and a future research agenda," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-17, August.
- Shelegia, Sandro, 2012. "Multiproduct pricing in oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 231-242.
- Gila Fruchter & Eitan Gerstner & Paul Dobson, 2011. "Fee or free? How much to add on for an add-on," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 65-78, March.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2010. "Can more consumers lead to lower profits? A model of multi-product competition," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 184-195, November.
- Simbanegavi, Witness, 2008.
"Loss leader or low margin leader? Advertising and the degree of product differentiation,"
9694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Witness Simbanegavi, 2008. "Loss leader or low margin leader? Advertising and the degree of product differentiation," Working Papers 105, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Glenn Ellison, 2003.
"A Model of Add-on Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
9721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loy, Jens-Peter & Weaver, Robert D., 2003. "Retail Sales: Do They Mean Reduced Expenditures? German Grocery Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25914, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roger Betancourt & David Gautschi, 1996. "An international comparison of the determinants of retail gross margins," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 173-189, June.
- DeGraba, Patrick, 2006. "The loss leader is a turkey: Targeted discounts from multi-product competitors," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 613-628, May.
- Zhang, Shi & Fitzsimons, Gavan J., 1999. "Choice-Process Satisfaction: The Influence of Attribute Alignability and Option Limitation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 192-214, March.
- Connor, John M., 1997. "Couponing As A Horizontal And Vertical Strategy: Theory And Effects," Working Papers 14344, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Akira Miyaoka, 2013. "Who benefits from resale-below-cost laws?," ISER Discussion Paper 0875, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Tom S. Lee & I.P.L. Png, 2004. "Loss Leaders: An Indirect Empirical Test," Industrial Organization 0401008, EconWPA.
- Rosato, Antonio, 2013. "Selling Substitute Goods to Loss-Averse Consumers: Limited Availability, Bargains and Rip-offs," MPRA Paper 47168, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim, 2010. "Spatial differentiation, divisible consumption and the pro-competitive effect of income," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 71-85, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.