Optimal Dynamic Pricing For Expanding Networks
AbstractThis paper analyzes the dynamic pricing decision of a monopolist marketing a new product or service whose consumption value increases with the expansion of the “network” of adopters. We characterize an optimal pricing strategy which maximizes the present value of the monopolist's profits, subject to the dynamics of the demand for network access. These dynamics depend, among other factors, on the current price and consumer anticipations about future network growth. We examine the effects of changes in the growth anticipations and the discount rate on the optimal equilibrium access price and network size. It is shown that higher growth anticipations and a lower discount rate result in a lower equilibrium price and a larger network.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 4 (1985)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amir, Rabah & Lazzati, Natalia, 2010.
"Network effects, market structure and industry performance,"
Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Behavior
SP II 2010-12, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Amir, Rabah & Lazzati, Natalia, 2011. "Network effects, market structure and industry performance," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2389-2419.
- Rabah Amir & Natalia Lazzati, 2009. "Network Effects, Market Structure and Industry Performance," Working Papers 09-27, NET Institute.
- Rabah Amir & Natalia Lazzati, 2010. "Network Effects, Market Structure and Industry Performance," CREA Discussion Paper Series 10-16, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Haruvy, Ernan & Prasad, Ashutosh, 2005. "Freeware as a competitive deterrent," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 513-534, October.
- Alexei Parakhonyak & Nick Vikander, 2013.
"Optimal Sales Schemes for Network Goods,"
13-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Fruchter, Gila E. & Sigué, Simon P., 2013. "Dynamic pricing for subscription services," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 2180-2194.
- Nair, Anand & Closs, David J., 2006. "An examination of the impact of coordinating supply chain policies and price markdowns on short lifecycle product retail performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 379-392, August.
- Laura Rinaldi, 2008. "Estimation of network externalities and critical mass in the mobile telephone market: a panel data analysis of the OECD countries," Working Papers 1_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Baraldi, A. Laura, 2008. "Network Externalities and Critical Mass in the Mobile Telephone Network: a Panel Data Estimation," MPRA Paper 13373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gabszewicz, Jean J. & Garcia, Filomena, 2008.
"A note on expanding networks and monopoly pricing,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 9-15, January.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & GARCIA, Filomena, 2005. "A note on expanding networks and monopoly pricing," CORE Discussion Papers 2005095, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J., GABSZEWICZ & Filomena, GARCIA, 2005. "A Note on Expanding Networks and Monopoly Pricing," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005063, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Hao Zhao, 2003. "R&D Competition Between an Incumbent and an Entrant: An Integrated Model of R&D Investment, Performance Improvement, and Time-to-Market," Review of Marketing Science Working Papers 2-2-1023, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Mesak, Hani I. & Bari, Abdullahel & Babin, Barry J. & Birou, Laura M. & Jurkus, Anthony, 2011. "Optimum advertising policy over time for subscriber service innovations in the presence of service cost learning and customers' disadoption," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 642-649, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.