Is There a Base Currency Effect in Long-Run PPP?
AbstractThe base currency effect in the purchasing power parity (PPP) literature refers to the stylized fact that tests on German mark real exchange rates are more likely to support mean reversion than analogous tests on US dollar rates. Using a panel of 19 OECD currencies, 1973-97, we employ different panel unit root approaches to investigate the view that this effect can be attributed to neglected cross-sectional dependence. While the results from panel methods which permit cross-sectional dependence and heterogeneous serial correlation generally support long-run PPP, they provide no evidence of a base currency effect. Copyright @ 2000 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christoph Fischer, 2006.
"PPP: a disaggregated view,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 93-108.
- Hyginus Leon & Serineh Najarian, 2005. "Asymmetric adjustment and nonlinear dynamics in real exchange rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 15-39.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cerrato, Mario, 2004.
"Panel Data Tests of PPP. A Critical Overview,"
159, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2004. "Panel Data Tests Of Ppp: A Critical Overview," Public Policy Discussion Papers 04-18, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2004. "Panel Data Tests Of Ppp: A Critical Overview," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 04-18, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Cerrato, Mario & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2007. "A bootstrap panel unit root test under cross-sectional dependence, with an application to PPP," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 4028-4037, May.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2007. "An assessment of the trends in international price competitiveness among EMU countries," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2012.
"Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 757-776.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2009. "Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Julián Ramajo Hernández(1) & Montserrat Ferré Carracedo(2), . "Testing For Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity In The Post Bretton Woods Era: Evidence From Old And New Tests," Working Papers 24-05 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Fischer, Christoph & Porath, Daniel, 2006.
"A reappraisal of the evidence on PPP: a systematic investigation into MA roots in panel unit root tests and their implications,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,23, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christoph Fischer & Daniel Porath, 2010. "A reappraisal of the evidence on PPP: a systematic investigation into MA roots in panel unit root tests and their implications," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 767-792, December.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana-Maria, 2001. "Border costs and real exchange rate dynamics in Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 669-676, August.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2001. "New Evidence on Real Exchange Rate Stationarity and Purchasing Power Parity in Less Developed Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 601-614, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.