Fixed- and Variable-Rate Tenders in the Management of Liquidity by the Eurosystem: Implications of the Recent Credit Crisis
AbstractMost liquidity-providing operations of the European Central Bank (ECB) have been conducted through variable-rate tenders. However, fixed rates were first employed in the main refinancing operations (MROs) and are still used in other liquidity management operations. In October 2008, the ECB decided to carry MROs again at a fixed rate. In a simple threestage game in which banks can obtain liquidity through the open-market operations of the ECB, through interbank transactions, or through “standing facilities,” this paper revisits the dilemma between fixed- and variable-rate procedures, with an emphasis on the scenarios that are particularly relevant under the recent credit crisis, namely collateral shortage, rationing in the interbank market, and non-acute estimation by the ECB of the system’s liquidity needs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Journal of Central Banking in its journal International Journal of Central Banking.
Volume (Year): 6 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2012. "Overbidding in fixed rate tenders: The role of exposure risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 539-549.
- Jakob Eberl & Christopher Weber, 2014. "ECB Collateral Criteria: A Narrative Database 2001–2013," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 174, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.