Inter-party vote movements in Turkey: The sources of AKP votes in 2007
AbstractUsing data drawn from a nationwide voter tendencies survey conducted shortly before the July 2007 parliamentary election in Turkey, inter-party vote movements during the 2002-2007 period are investigated with the Justice and Development Party (AKP) as the focal point. A descriptive analysis relying on two and four-way partitions of the data set reveals that, in comparison to the relatively small group of ‘deserters’ from the party, the ‘newcomers’ to the AKP are younger, more female, more satisfied with the performance of the economy, and more likely to be pro-EU membership. The data also show that AKP supporters are less educated and less concerned about the threats to secularism than the rest of the voters. The key finding of the econometric work is that economic evaluations – especially retrospective ones – have a strong association with the party choice in the 2007 elections.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bilgesel Yayincilik in its journal İktisat İşletme ve Finans.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 285 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://iif.com.tr
Elections; Voter behavior; Economic voting; Party choice; Turkey; logit;
Other versions of this item:
- Ali T. Akarca & Cem Baslevent, 2010. "Inter-Party Vote Movements In Turkey: The Sources Of Akp Votes In 2007," Working Papers 509, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2010.
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ali T. Akarca, 2010. "Analysis of the 2009 Turkish Election Results from an Economic Voting Perspective," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 3-38.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ali Bilge).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.