General Equilibrium Analysis of Price Controls: A Computational Approach
AbstractThis paper presents a computational general equilibrium framework for evaluating the welfare costs associated with economy-wide price controls. Other than traditional commodity-specific partial equilibrium analyses, most empirical literature on price controls concentrates on macroeconomic issues, such as the impact on inflation and unemployment. Here the authors seek to reorient empirical literature on the effects of these controls toward efficiency losses from resource misallocation by providing a framework that can be used to address the issue of how large these economic inefficiencies are, and who gains and who loses from them. Copyright 1990 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings, 1995.
"Equilibrium existence results for economies with price rigidities,"
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80.
- Herings, P Jean-Jacques, 1996. "Equilibrium Existence Results for Economies with Price Rigidities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Brennan Platt, 2009. "Queue-rationed equilibria with fixed costs of waiting," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 247-274, August.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2004.
"Equilibria with Coordination Failures,"
2004-107, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2001.
"Quantity Constrained Equilibria,"
2001-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Talman,Dolf & Laan,Gerard,van der & Herings,P. Jean-Jacques, 2001. "Quantity Constrained Equilibria," Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Gerard van der Laan & Dolf Talman, 2001. "Quantity Constrained Equilibria," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-116/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Babenko, R. & Talman, A.J.J., 2006. "Quantity Constrained General Equilibrium," Discussion Paper 2006-125, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.