Optimal Learning with Endogenous Data
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the need for, and the implications of, $-optimality in learning problems. The authors consider a control problem in which a Bayesian decisionmaker faces a trade-off between expected current reward and accumulation of information. An example showing the need for the notion of $-optimality and the possibility of discontinuous transition functions is given. It is shown that there is always an $-optimal policy that allows the decisionmaker to learn any identified parameters, but that there are other $-optimal policies with very different limit behavior. Copyright 1989 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2006.
"Investment in a Monopoly with Bayesian Learning,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0603, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Alexandre X. Carvalho & Martin L. Puterman, 2005. "Dynamic Optimization and Learning: How Should a Manager set Prices when the Demand Function is Unknown ?," Discussion Papers 1117, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Kelly, David L. & Shorish, Jamsheed, 2000. "Stability of Functional Rational Expectations Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 215-250, December.
- Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J. & Santugini, Marc, 2009.
"Optimal growth and uncertainty: Learning,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 280-295, January.
- Christos Koulovatianos, & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, . "Optimal Growth and Uncertainty: Learning," Discussion Papers 08/08, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Christos Koulovatianos & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2007. "Optimal Growth and Uncertainty: Learning," Cahiers de recherche 07-05, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised Feb 2008.
- Jiarui Han & Tze Lai & Viktor Spivakovsky, 2006. "Approximate Policy Optimization and Adaptive Control in Regression Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 433-452, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.