The Sources of Local Growth: Evidence from Italy
AbstractThe aim of this paper it to identify the main determinants of growth for local areas belonging to the same country. We examine the impact of a number of social, struc¬tural, and political variables on the economic performance of the Italian provinces during the period 1971-1991. Many of these variables appear for the first time in the Barro-regression literature. We analyze growth not only in terms of income, but also in terms of employment and population. First, we find that local growth is strongly affected by the diffusion of specialized industrial districts made up of small and medium-sized firms. Second, we find weak evidence of the importance of social capi¬tal for growth, whereas variables indicating political sub-cultures and social cohesion are strongly related with economic performance. Lastly, we show that crime and labor conflicts have a clear negative impact on employment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University in its journal Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia.
Volume (Year): 59 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De Siano, Rita & D'Uva, Marcella, 2007. "A new approach for β-convergence estimation in Italy," MPRA Paper 5643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Forni, Mario & Paba, Sergio, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and the Growth of Local Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2934, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosetta Lombardo & Marianna Falcone, 2011. "Crime And Economic Performance. A Cluster Analysis Of Panel Data On Italy'S Nuts 3 Regions," Working Papers 201112, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- R. Paci & S. Saddi, 2002.
"Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200201, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Silvia Saddi & Raffaele Paci, 2002. "Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(3).
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giovanni Ferri & Pier Carlo Padoan, 2002. "Firms’ Clustering and SEE Export Performance: Lessons from the Italian Experience," The wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 021, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Davide Fiaschi & Lisa Gianmoena & Angela Parenti, 2010.
"The Dynamics of Labour Productivity across Italian Provinces: Convergence and Polarization,"
2010/105, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Fiaschi Davide & Gianmoena Lisa & Parenti Angela, 2011. "The Dynamics of Labour Productivity Across Italian Provinces: Convergence and Polarization," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 209-240.
- A. Lasagni, 2009. "Agglomeration economies: new evidence on IT employment growth in Italy," Economics Department Working Papers 2009-EP08, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Giovanni Peri & Dieter M. Urban, 2003.
"The Veblen-Gerschenkron Effect of FDI in Mezzogiorno and East Germany,"
31, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Giovanni Peri & Dieter Urban, 2002. "The Veblen-Gerschenkron Effect of FDI in Mezzogiorno and East Germany," Development Working Papers 164, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 2001. "Externalities and local economic growth in manufacturing industries," Working Paper CRENoS 200113, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Fiorillo, Damiano, 2005. "Le determinanti del capitale sociale in Italia, 1993-2000: una analisi esplorativa," MPRA Paper 796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.