Determinants of long-term interest rates: an empirical study of several industrial countries
AbstractReal interest rates on long-term financial assets play a central role in linking financial markets to the economy at large. Over the last fifteen years, these rates have risen steadily in the United States and some key foreign countries. The authors consider long-term forces contributing to this rise—the rate of return to capital, risk factors, and changes in financial structure—along with macroeconomic policies leading to short- and medium-term fluctuations in the rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (1991)
Issue (Month): Win ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kelly R Eckhold, 1998. "Determinants of New Zealand bond yields," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G98/1, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- J T Kneeshaw, 1995. "A survey of non-financial sector balance sheets in industialised countries: implications for the monetary policy transmission mechanism," BIS Working Papers 25, Bank for International Settlements.
- J.M. Berk & K.H.W. Knot, 1999.
"Co-Movements in Long-Term Interest Rates and the Role of PPP-BasedExchange Rate Expectations,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
37, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Klaas Knot & Jan Marc Berk, 1999. "Co-Movements in Long-Term Interest Rates and the Role of PPP-Based Exchange Rate Expectations," IMF Working Papers 99/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruno Ducoudré, 2005. "Fiscal policy and interest rates," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Berk, Jan Marc & Knot, Klaas H. W., 2001. "Testing for long horizon UIP using PPP-based exchange rate expectations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 377-391, February.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.