A question of measurement: is the dollar rising or falling?
AbstractTrade-weighted exchange rate indexes that measure changes in the average foreign exchange value of the U. S. dollar produce different answers to how much the dollar has changed and, in some cases, even whether the value of the dollar has risen or fallen. After discussing the differences in constructing these indexes, Cletus C. Coughlin and Patricia S. Pollard examine some factors that might account for the contrasting views of changes in the dollar. Their analysis uses two indexes-one produced by the staff of the Board of Governors and the other by the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. These indexes differ in three aspects: the method used to calculate the trade weights, the base period for the trade weights, and the foreign currencies included. Their comparison reveals that the difference between the two indexes is driven primarily by the choice of the currencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (1996)
Issue (Month): Jul ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2006.
"Passthrough Estimates and the Choice of an Exchange Rate Index,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 535-553, 09.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2003. "Pass-through estimates and the choice of an exchange rate index," Working Papers 2003-004, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard & Jerram C. Betts, 1997. "To chain or not to chain trade-weighted exchange rate indexes," Working Papers 1996-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Armando Ibarra, . "Indíce Encadenado de la Tasa de Cambio Real Regional Ponderado por el Comercio de Exportación," Borradores de Economia 122, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard, 2000. "Exchange rate pass-through in U. S. manufacturing: exchange rate index choice and asymmetry issues," Working Papers 2000-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Roche, M.J. & Moore. M.J., 2002. "Volatile and persistent real exchange rates without the contrivance of sticky prices," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1160402, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard, 1998. "Constructing and using national and regional TWEXs: the case for chaining," Working Papers 1998-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.