The Banking Sector and Macroeconomic Performance in Central European Economies
AbstractWe present empirical evidence on the macroeconomic variables affecting non-performing loan (NPL) ratios in five central European economies (CEEs). We reach four main conclusions. First, a slowdown in economic activity can be expected to deteriorate the NPL ratios in the CEEs. Second, in four out of the five countries, foreign direct investment growth appears to improve NPL ratios. Third, an increase in real interest rates has a negative impact on the financial position of borrowers and loan portfolio quality in all the five CEEs. Fourth, in a majority of CEEs, increasing credit to the private sector increases the NPL ratio, indicating a need to strengthen the supervision of banks’ lending activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 03-04 (May)
non-performing loans; systemic risk; macro environment; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nenad Milojević, 2014. "Optimal Banking and Other Financial Business for the Economic Growth of Serbia," Journal of Central Banking Theory and Practice, Central bank of Montenegro, vol. 3(2), pages 61-83.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.