Il trasporto pubblico locale in Italia: variabili esplicative dei divari di costo tra le imprese
AbstractIl trasporto pubblico locale in Italia: variabili esplicative dei divari di costo tra le imprese (di Giovanni Fraquelli, Massimiliano Piacenza, Graziano Abrate) - ABSTRACT: The aim of the present study is to provide fresh evidence about the characteristics of cost structure of public transit systems in Italy. The analysis is carried out by comparing the productive performance (average costs and productivity) of small, medium and large-sized companies providing both urban and extra-urban transport service. The sample includes observations of 47 Italian firms operating during the period 1996-1998. In an attempt to analyze the composite nature of costs, we separate components closely related to the physical production of output from those concerning the general organization of transport service and selling activities. The results highlight the role played by input prices and labor and capital productivity in explaining the observed cost differences between companies. The findings also show that inefficiency varies with firm size, network density, the average speed of vehicles and the regulatory context (in terms of the different subsidization mechanisms) that companies have to face.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE.
Volume (Year): 2001/111 (2001)
Issue (Month): 111 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giovanni Fraquelli & Massimiliano Piacenza & Graziano Abrate, 2001. "Costs and Technology of Public Transit Systems in Italy:Some Insights to Face Inefficiency," CERIS Working Paper 200112, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Asquer, Alberto, 2011. "Liberalization and regulatory reform of network industries: A comparative analysis of Italian public utilities," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 172-184.
- Simona Bigerna & Paolo Polinori, 2010.
"Ambiente operativo ed efficienza nel settore del trasporto pubblico locale in Italia,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 85-118.
- Simona Bigerna & Paolo Polinori, 2008. "Ambiente operativo ed efficienza nel settore del Trasporto Pubblico Locale in Italia," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 59/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Massimiliano Piacenza, 2002. "Regulatory Constraints and Cost Efficiency of the Italian Public Transit Systems: An Exploratory Stochastic Frontier Model," CERIS Working Paper 200202, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.