Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de Thirlwall e termos de troca
AbstractLong-run economic growth in Brazil, Thirlwall´s model and terms of trade ? Explaining the Brazilian economic growth performance during the 20th is a challenging task to academics. As shown, Brazil had already experienced faster growth and recently it is far from such belle époque. Most explanations are based on conventional frameworks. This paper assesses the Balance-of-Payments constraint model to Brazilian economic growth in the period 1900-2005, highlighting the importance of the terms of trade. The results show, first, that the terms of trade are significant in the estimation of import demand function and change the income elasticity, especially in the first period of the sample (1900-1970), and, second, when the simplest Thirlwall?s model is controlled by terms of trade, it seems that such variable is important through import growth, which cause changes in economic performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Brazilian economic growth; Terms of trade; Balance-of-Payments Constraint; Thirlwall?s law.;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabrício de Assis C. Vieira & Márcio Holland, 2006. "Crescimento Econômico Secular No Brasil, Modelo De Thirlwall E Termos De Troca," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 167, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- de Assis C. Vieira,Fabrício & Brito, Marcio Holland de, 2010. "Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de thirlwall e termos de troca," Textos para discussÃ£o 206, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Flávio da Cunha Resende & Daniela Almeida Raposo Torres, 2008. "National innovation system, competitiveness and economic growth," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td325, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.