Financial development and economic growth in developing economies: empirical evidence from the Caribbean
AbstractThis paper uses a VAR and VECM framework to examine whether financial development causes growth or vice-versa employing aggregate annual time-series data on Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago. The results indicate that a long-run equilibrium relationship between financial development and economic growth exists only in Trinidad and Tobago and the response is bi-directional, lending support to both the denand-following and supply-leading hypothesis. Second, where there is only evidence of a short-run relationship, the results are mixed. Sometimes the causal link is from economic growth to financial development and on other occasions from financial development to economic growth. Third, our findings show that results are country specific and tend to vary with the kind of proxies used to measure financial development.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus in its journal Ekonomia.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Winter)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Butkiewicz, James L. & Gordon, Leo-Rey C., 2013. "The Economic Growth Effect of Offshore Banking in Host Territories: Evidence from the Caribbean," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 165-179.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.