On Testing the Connection between Economic Freedom and Growth
AbstractJakob De Haan, Susanna LundstrÃ¶m, and Jan-Egbert Sturm have written a valuable survey of the literature that uses the Gwartney and Lawson economic freedom (EFW) index. Their discussion of the indexâ€™s theoretical underpinnings and methodological ins and outs itself should be useful to scholars interested in the field. While DLS accurately describe the mechanics of the construction of the EFW index and the econometric literature that has found a link between economic freedom and economic growth, I find myself in disagreement with some of their commentary. This reply in part will address these issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 3 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Economic Freedom; Economic Growth; Liberalization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- P0 - Economic Systems - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saurav Roychoudhury & Robert A. Lawson, 2010. "Economic freedom and sovereign credit ratings and default risk," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 149-162, June.
- Keef, Stephen P. & Khaled, Mohammed & Zhu, Hui, 2009. "The dynamics of the Monday effect in international stock indices," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 125-133, June.
- Henryk Gurgul & Łukasz Lach, 2011.
"The Nexus between Improvements in Economic Freedom and Growth: Evidence from CEE Countries in Transition,"
Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME,
CEJEME, vol. 3(3), pages 133-168, September.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Lach, Łukasz, 2011. "The Nexus between Improvements in Economic Freedom and Growth: Evidence from CEE Countries in Transition," MPRA Paper 52260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John W. Dawson, 2007.
"The Empirical Institutions-Growth Literature: Is Something Amiss at the Top?,"
Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch,
Econ Journal Watch, vol. 4(2), pages 184-196, May.
- John W. Dawson, 2007. "The Empirical Institutions-Growth Literature: Is Something Amiss at the Top?," Working Papers, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University 07-13, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- John W. Dawson, 2007. "The Empirical Instituions-Growth Literature: Is Something Amiss at the Top?," Working Papers, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University 07-04, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2008:i:18:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Judit Kapás & Pál Czeglédi, 2007. "Economic Freedom: Theory First, Empiricism After," ICER Working Papers, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research 10-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Lach, Łukasz, 2011. "The nexus between economic freedom and growth: Evidence from CEE countries in transition," MPRA Paper 37434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua Hall & Robert Lawson, 2008. "Theory and evidence on economic freedom and economic growth: A comment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(18), pages 1-6.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.