Stock price reactions to Sino-European joint ventures
AbstractDo European investments in China create shareholders' value? The question is posed, but does not ask for a definite answer. Many factors have to be considered when analyzing the valuation effect of European direct investment in China and its determinants. The aim of this article is to better understand the real impact of the Sino-European joint venture announcements on the stock market value of the European partners. First of all, on the basis of an event study methodology, this article presents empirical observations of the share price reactions in different European stock markets to 68 Sino-European joint venture announcements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 37 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doukas, John & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1988. " The Effect of Corporate Multinationalism on Shareholders' Wealth: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1161-75, December.
- Peter J Buckley, 1988. "The Limits of Explanation: Testing the Internalization Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 181-193, June.
- Haiyang Chen & Michael Y. Hu & Joseph C. P. Shieh, 1991. "The Wealth Effect of International Joint Ventures: The Case of U.S. Investment in China," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), Winter.
- Gupta, Atul, et al, 1991. "Gains from Corporate Multinationalism: Evidence from the China Experience," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, August.
- Cheng, Louis T. W. & Fung, Joseph K. W. & Lam, Kin, 1998. "An examination of the determinants of stock price effects of US-Chinese joint venture announcements," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-161, April.
- Fama, Eugene F, et al, 1969. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to New Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier, 2004. "Valuation effect of international joint ventures: does experience matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 595-612, October.
- Hanvanich, Sangphet & Richards, Malika & Miller, Stewart R. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2005. "Technology and the effects of cultural differences and task relatedness: A study of shareholder value creation in domestic and international joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 397-414, August.
- Amici, Alessandra & Fiordelisi, Franco & Masala, Francesco & Ricci, Ornella & Sist, Federica, 2013. "Value creation in banking through strategic alliances and joint ventures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1386-1396.
- Zheng Xiaosong & Zhang Jinming, 2011. "Factors Influencing International Joint Venture Performance in China," Annals - Economic and Administrative Series -, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 5(1), pages 167-184, December.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.