Multicommodity, multimode freight transportation: A general modeling and algorithmic framework for the service network design problem
AbstractWe examine the freight transportation problem which occurs when the same authority controls and plans both the supply of transportation services (modes, routes, frequencies for the services and classification, consolidation, transfer policies for terminals) and the routing of freight. We present a general modeling framework, based on a network optimization model, which may be used to assist and enhance the tactical and strategic planning process for such a system. The problem is solved by means of an algorithm, described in some detail, based on decomposition and column generation principles. We also present detailed results on the behaviour and performance of the algorithm, as observed during experimentation with a specific rail application.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 20 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kraay, David R. & Harker, Patrick T., 1995. "Real-time scheduling of freight railroads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 213-229, June.
- Lozano, Angélica & Storchi, Giovanni, 2002. "Shortest viable hyperpath in multimodal networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 853-874, December.
- Smilowitz, Karen R. & Atamturk, Alper & Daganzo, Carlos F., 2002. "Deferred Item and Vehicle Routing within Integrated Networks," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0xn2d6kn, University of California Transportation Center.
- Lin, Bo-Liang & Wang, Zhi-Mei & Ji, Li-Jun & Tian, Ya-Ming & Zhou, Guo-Qing, 2012. "Optimizing the freight train connection service network of a large-scale rail system," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 649-667.
- Afshar, Abbas & Haghani, Ali, 2012. "Modeling integrated supply chain logistics in real-time large-scale disaster relief operations," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 327-338.
- Bai, Ruibin & Wallace, Stein W. & Li, Jingpeng & Chong, Alain Yee-Loong, 2014. "Stochastic service network design with rerouting," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 50-65.
- van Riessen, B. & Negenborn, R.R. & Dekker, R. & Lodewijks, G., 2013. "Impact and relevance of transit disturbances on planning in intermodal container networks," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2013-18, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Haghani, Ali & Oh, Sei-Chang, 1996. "Formulation and solution of a multi-commodity, multi-modal network flow model for disaster relief operations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-250, May.
- van Riessen, B. & Negenborn, R.R. & Dekker, R. & Lodewijks, G., 2013. "Service network design for an intermodal container network with flexible due dates/times and the possibility of using subcontracted transport," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI2013-17, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Crainic, Teodor Gabriel & Laporte, Gilbert, 1997. "Planning models for freight transportation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 409-438, March.
- Marin, Angel & Salmeron, Javier, 1996. "Tactical design of rail freight networks. Part I: Exact and heuristic methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 26-44, April.
- Ferreira, L., 1997. "Planning Australian freight rail operations: An overview," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 335-348, July.
- Jeong, Seung-Ju & Lee, Chi-Guhn & Bookbinder, James H., 2007. "The European freight railway system as a hub-and-spoke network," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 523-536, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.