Measuring transit performance using data envelopment analysis
AbstractGovernmental agencies need to be able to assess the performance of transit agencies and to compare them with peer agencies. This assessment must measure not only how efficient the agency is in producing transit service, but also how effective it is in having that service consumed. This paper uses data envelopment analysis (DEA) to develop a single measure for the efficiency and a single measure for the effectiveness of a transit agency relative to other agencies within the same peer group. By using a single measure for each of these criteria, this paper provides a more robust indicator of transit performance than the widely used multiple ratio analysis performed in the Irvine Performance Evaluation Method (IPEM). The DEA model is applied to two transit agency peer groups--one serving large metropolitan areas and the other serving relatively small cities and large towns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 26 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hassan, Mohammad Nurul & Hawas, Yaser E. & Ahmed, Kamran, 2013. "A multi-dimensional framework for evaluating the transit service performance," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 47-61.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G., 2003. "Investigating transit production and performance: a programming approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 225-240, March.
- Kerstens, K., 1996. "Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 431-452, November.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Matthias Staat, 2008.
"Transit Costs and Cost Efficiency: Bootstrapping Nonparametric Frontiers,"
2008-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- de Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Staat, Matthias, 2008. "Transit costs and cost efficiency: Bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 53-64, January.
- De Borger B. & Kerstens K. & Staat M., 2008. "Transit costs and cost efficiency: bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers," Working Papers 2008012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Nozick, Linda K. & Borderas, Hector & Meyburg, Arnim H., 1998. "Evaluation of travel demand measures and programs: a data envelopment analysis approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 331-343, September.
- Mallikarjun, Sreekanth & Lewis, Herbert F. & Sexton, Thomas R., 2014. "Operational performance of U.S. public rail transit and implications for public policy," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 74-88.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 1999. "A new criterion for technical efficiency measures: non-monotonicity across dimensions axioms," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 45-59.
- DERVAUX, Benoît & KERSTENS, Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, .
"Radial and nonradial static efficiency decompositions: a focus on congestion measurement,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1323, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dervaux, Benoît & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1998. "Radial and nonradial static efficiency decompositions: a focus on congestion measurement," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 299-312, June.
- Yu, Ming-Miin, 2008. "Assessing the technical efficiency, service effectiveness, and technical effectiveness of the world's railways through NDEA analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1283-1294, December.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G., 2004. "A DEA approach for evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of urban transit systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 354-364, January.
- Sampaio, Breno Ramos & Neto, Oswaldo Lima & Sampaio, Yony, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of public transport systems: Lessons for institutional planning," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 445-454, March.
- Zhao, Y. & Triantis, K. & Murray-Tuite, P. & Edara, P., 2011. "Performance measurement of a transportation network with a downtown space reservation system: A network-DEA approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1140-1159.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & Tsamboulas, Dimitrios, 2012. "Efficiency measurement in public transport: Are findings specification sensitive?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 392-402.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Fan, Chih-Ku, 2008. "The effects of privatization on return to the dollar: A case study on technical efficiency, and price distortions of Taiwan's intercity bus services," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 935-950, July.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lau, Kwok Hung, 2013. "Measuring distribution efficiency of a retail network through data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 598-611.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.