Hausdorff moment problem: Reconstruction of distributions
AbstractThe problem of approximation of the moment-determinate cumulative distribution function (cdf) from its moments is studied. This method of recovering an unknown distribution is natural in certain incomplete models like multiplicative-censoring or biased sampling when the moments of unobserved distributions are related in a simple way to the moments of an observed distribution. In this article some properties of the proposed construction are derived. The uniform and L1-rates of convergence of the approximated cdf to the target distribution are obtained.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Lindsay & Ramani Pilla & Prasanta Basak, 2000. "Moment-Based Approximations of Distributions Using Mixtures: Theory and Applications," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 215-230, June.
- Gwo Dong Lin, 1997. "On the moment problems," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 85-90, August.
- Mnatsakanov, Robert & Sarkisian, Khachatur, 2012. "Varying kernel density estimation on R+," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(7), pages 1337-1345.
- Mnatsakanov, Robert M., 2011. "Moment-recovered approximations of multivariate distributions: The Laplace transform inversion," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Gzyl, Henryk & Novi-Inverardi, Pier-Luigi & Tagliani, Aldo, 2013. "Determination of the probability of ultimate ruin by maximum entropy applied to fractional moments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 457-463.
- Mnatsakanov, Robert M., 2008. "Hausdorff moment problem: Reconstruction of probability density functions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(13), pages 1869-1877, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.