Variability ordering of heavy-tailed distributions with applications to order statistics
AbstractBased on a necessary condition for variability ordering of distributions with regularly varying tails it is shown that, for such distributions, order statistics from the same sample are not comparable in the sense of several well-known variability orders. General restrictions in the two-sample case are also indicated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 58 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnold, Barry C. & Villaseñor, Jose A., 1986. "Lorenz ordering of means and medians," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 47-49, January.
- Arnold, Barry C. & Nagaraja, H. N., 1991. "Lorenz ordering of exponential order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 485-490, June.
- Wilfling, Bernd, 1996. "Lorenz ordering of power-function order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 313-319, November.
- Kochar, Subhash C., 1996. "Dispersive ordering of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 271-274, April.
- Lillo, Rosa E. & Nanda, Asok K. & Shaked, Moshe, 2001. "Preservation of some likelihood ratio stochastic orders by order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 111-119, January.
- Kleiber, Christian, 2005.
"The Lorenz curve in economics and econometrics,"
2005,30, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- James Townsend & Hans Colonius, 2005. "Variability of the MAX and MIN Statistic: A Theory of the Quantile Spread as a Function of Sample Size," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 70(4), pages 759-772, December.
- Kochar, Subhash, 2006. "Lorenz ordering of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(17), pages 1855-1860, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.