Variability ordering of heavy-tailed distributions with applications to order statistics
AbstractBased on a necessary condition for variability ordering of distributions with regularly varying tails it is shown that, for such distributions, order statistics from the same sample are not comparable in the sense of several well-known variability orders. General restrictions in the two-sample case are also indicated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 58 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnold, Barry C. & Villaseñor, Jose A., 1986. "Lorenz ordering of means and medians," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 47-49, January.
- Lillo, Rosa E. & Nanda, Asok K. & Shaked, Moshe, 2001. "Preservation of some likelihood ratio stochastic orders by order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 111-119, January.
- Wilfling, Bernd, 1996. "Lorenz ordering of power-function order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 313-319, November.
- Arnold, Barry C. & Nagaraja, H. N., 1991. "Lorenz ordering of exponential order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 485-490, June.
- Kochar, Subhash C., 1996. "Dispersive ordering of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 271-274, April.
- Christian Kleiber, 2007.
"The Lorenz curve in economics and econometrics,"
2007/09, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- James Townsend & Hans Colonius, 2005. "Variability of the MAX and MIN Statistic: A Theory of the Quantile Spread as a Function of Sample Size," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 70(4), pages 759-772, December.
- Kochar, Subhash, 2006. "Lorenz ordering of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(17), pages 1855-1860, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.