Definition and probabilistic properties of skew-distributions
AbstractThe univariate and multivariate skew-normal distributions have a number of intriguing properties. It is shown here that these hold for a general class of distributions, defined in terms of independence conditions on signs and absolute values. For this class, two stochastic representations become equivalent, one using conditioning on the positivity of a random vector and the other employing a vector of absolute values. General methods for computing moments and for obtaining the density function of a general skew-distribution are given. The case of spherical and elliptical distributions is briefly discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 58 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Genton, Marc G. & He, Li & Liu, Xiangwei, 2001. "Moments of skew-normal random vectors and their quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-325, February.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
- Reinaldo Arellano-Valle & Luis Castro & Graciela González-Farías & Karla Muñoz-Gajardo, 2012. "Student-t censored regression model: properties and inference," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 453-473, November.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2005. "On fundamental skew distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 93-116, September.
- Reinaldo Arellano-Valle & Marc Genton, 2010. "An invariance property of quadratic forms in random vectors with a selection distribution, with application to sample variogram and covariogram estimators," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(2), pages 363-381, April.
- Samuel Kotz & Donatella Vicari, 2005. "Survey of developments in the theory of continuous skewed distributions," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(2), pages 225-261.
- Sharon Lee & Geoffrey McLachlan, 2013. "Model-based clustering and classification with non-normal mixture distributions," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 427-454, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.