The distributions of certain record statistics from a random number of observations
AbstractSuppose we observe a random number N of independent identically distributed random variables in sequence. The record values are the successive maxima of this sequence. Assuming that N and the observations are independent, we obtain the joint distribution of the number of records and their values. Using this, the dependence structures of record values and interrecord counts are studied; this yields a necessary and sufficient condition for N to have geometric tail. In addition, we obtain the distribution of the number of records. When N is negative binomial, the expressions can be simplified; in one case the number of records has an exact Poisson distribution. Our results are applied to point process models considered by Gaver (1976) and Westcott (1977). Our results remain applicable when the assumption of identical distribution is relaxed to allow the distribution to change after a record event, as proposed by Pfeifer (1982).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 38 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gadi Barlevy & H. N. Nagaraja, 2006.
"Identification of Search Models with Initial Condition Problems,"
2006 Meeting Papers
4, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gadi Barlevy & H.N. Nagaraja, 2006. "Identification of Search Models with Initial Condition Problems," NBER Working Papers 12166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gadi Barlevy & H. N. Nagaraja, 2006. "Identification of search models with initial condition problems," Working Paper Series WP-06-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Barlevy, Gadi & Nagaraja, H. N., 2006. "Identification of Search Models with Initial Condition Problems," IZA Discussion Papers 2061, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gadi Barlevy, 2004.
"Estimating Models of On-the-Job Search Using Record Statistics,"
2004 Meeting Papers
9, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2003. "Estimating models of on-the-job search using record statistics," Working Paper Series WP-03-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2003. "Estimating Models of On-the-Job Search Using Record Statistics," NBER Working Papers 10146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Browne, Sid & Bunge, John, 1995. "Random record processes and state dependent thinning," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 131-142, January.
- Gadi Barlevy & H. N. Nagaraja, 2010.
"Estimating Mobility Rates in Search Models with Initial Condition Problems,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(4), pages 780-799, October.
- Gady Barlevy & H. N. Nagaraja, 2010. "Code and data files for "Estimating Mobility Rates in Search Models with Initial Condition Problems"," Computer Codes 08-112, Review of Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.