Pareto law of the expenditure of a person in convenience stores
AbstractWe study the statistical laws of the expenditure of a person in convenience stores by analyzing around 100 million receipts. The density function of expenditure exhibits a fat tail that follows a power law. Using the Lorenz curve, the Gini coefficient is estimated to be 0.70; this implies that loyal customers contribute significantly to a store’s sales. We observe the Pareto principle where both the top 25% and 2% of the customers account for 80% and 25% of the store’s sales, respectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 387 (2008)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Point of sale; Power law; Gini coefficient; Pareto principle;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Lucia Alessi & Marco Capasso & Giorgio Fagiolo, 2008.
"The Distribution of Consumption-Expenditure Budget Shares. Evidence from Italian Households,"
LEM Papers Series
2008/18, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Lucia Alessi & Marco Capasso & Giorgio Fagiolo, 2008. "The Distribution of Consumption-Expenditure Budget Shares. Evidence from Italian Households," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-09, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Barigozzi, Matteo & Alessi, Lucia & Capasso, Marco & Fagiolo, Giorgio, 2012.
"The distribution of household consumption-expenditure budget shares,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 69-91.
- Barigozzi, Matteo & Alessi, Lucia & Capasso, Marco & Fagiolo, Giorgio, 2009. "The distribution of households consumption-expenditure budget shares," Working Paper Series 1061, European Central Bank.
- Raphie Hayat & Frank Butter & Udo Kock, 2013.
"Halal Certification for Financial Products: A Transaction Cost Perspective,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 117(3), pages 601-613, October.
- Raphie Hayat & Frank A.G. den Butter & Udo Kock, 2011. "Halal Certification for Financial Products: A Transaction Cost Perspective," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-171/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Aki-Hiro Sato, 2012. "Econoinformatics meets Data-Centric Social Sciences," Papers 1210.4643, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011171 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.