Market efficiency in foreign exchange markets
AbstractWe investigate the relative market efficiency in financial market data, using the approximate entropy(ApEn) method for a quantification of randomness in time series. We used the global foreign exchange market indices for 17 countries during two periods from 1984 to 1998 and from 1999 to 2004 in order to study the efficiency of various foreign exchange markets around the market crisis. We found that on average, the ApEn values for European and North American foreign exchange markets are larger than those for African and Asian ones except Japan. We also found that the ApEn for Asian markets increased significantly after the Asian currency crisis. Our results suggest that the markets with a larger liquidity such as European and North American foreign exchange markets have a higher market efficiency than those with a smaller liquidity such as the African and Asian markets except Japan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 382 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Approximate entropy(ApEn); Market efficiency; Degree of randomness;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:pid:wpaper:2012:82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Gang-Jin & Xie, Chi & Han, Feng & Sun, Bo, 2012. "Similarity measure and topology evolution of foreign exchange markets using dynamic time warping method: Evidence from minimal spanning tree," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(16), pages 4136-4146.
- Tokár, T. & Horváth, D., 2012. "Market inefficiency identified by both single and multiple currency trends," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(22), pages 5620-5627.
- Abounoori, Esmaiel & Shahrazi, Mahdi & Rasekhi, Saeed, 2012. "An investigation of Forex market efficiency based on detrended fluctuation analysis: A case study for Iran," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(11), pages 3170-3179.
- Lazăr, Dorina & Todea, Alexandru & Filip, Diana, 2012. "Martingale difference hypothesis and financial crisis: Empirical evidence from European emerging foreign exchange markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 338-350.
- Giglio, Ricardo & Matsushita, Raul & Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Da Silva, Sergio, 2008. "Algorithmic complexity theory and the relative efficiency of financial markets," MPRA Paper 8704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liu, Li-Zhi & Qian, Xi-Yuan & Lu, Heng-Yao, 2010. "Cross-sample entropy of foreign exchange time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4785-4792.
- Martina, Esteban & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Escarela-Perez, Rafael & Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose, 2011. "Multiscale entropy analysis of crude oil price dynamics," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 936-947, September.
- Wang, Yudong & Liu, Li & Gu, Rongbao, 2009. "Analysis of efficiency for Shenzhen stock market based on multifractal detrended fluctuation analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 271-276, December.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Espinosa-Paredes, Gilberto, 2012. "Is the US stock market becoming weakly efficient over time? Evidence from 80-year-long data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(22), pages 5643-5647.
- Cao, Guangxi & Xu, Longbing & Cao, Jie, 2012. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlations between the Chinese exchange market and stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4855-4866.
- Zunino, Luciano & Zanin, Massimiliano & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Pérez, Darío G. & Rosso, Osvaldo A., 2009. "Forbidden patterns, permutation entropy and stock market inefficiency," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(14), pages 2854-2864.
- Zunino, Luciano & Zanin, Massimiliano & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Pérez, Darío G. & Rosso, Osvaldo A., 2010. "Complexity-entropy causality plane: A useful approach to quantify the stock market inefficiency," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(9), pages 1891-1901.
- Chiang, Shu-Mei & Lee, Yen-Hsien & Su, Hsin-Mei & Tzou, Yi-Pin, 2010. "Efficiency tests of foreign exchange markets for four Asian Countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 284-294, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.