Firm innovation: The influence of R&D cooperation and the geography of human capital inputs
AbstractThis paper investigates the role played by the geography of labor inputs in the promotion of innovation. Knowledge can be transferred between firms by inter-firm interactions and inter-firm cooperation. In addition, knowledge can also be transferred between firms by human capital mobility. In order to examine these issues we employ a unique innovation dataset from Finland. This dataset provides information about a firm's innovation performance along with information regarding the origins of a firm's recent labor acquisitions. The origins of the labor are defined according to both the industry and the region. Analyzing these data allows us to identify the different roles which the geography of knowledge exchanges and the geography of labor markets play in the innovation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 64 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622905
Innovation Labor Mobility R&D Cooperation;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaakko Simonen & Philip McCann, 2007. "Firm Innovation: The Influence Of R&D Cooperation And The Geography Of Human Capital Inputs," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 29-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chi, Wei & Qian, Xiaoye, 2009. "The role of education in regional innovation activities and economic growth: spatial evidence from China," MPRA Paper 15779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ceren Ozgen, 2011. "The Impact of Cultural Diversity on Innovation: Evidence from Dutch Firm-Level Data," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011013, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Rosina Moreno & Ernest Miguélez, 2011.
"A relational approach to the geography of innovation: a typology of regions,"
IREA Working Papers
201121, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Rosina Moreno & Ernest Miguélez, 2012. "A Relational Approach To The Geography Of Innovation: A Typology Of Regions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 492-516, 07.
- Maksim Belitski & Julia Korosteleva, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Cities: Evidence from the Post-communist World," WIFO Working Papers 397, WIFO.
- Ozgen, Ceren & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2011. "The Impact of Cultural Diversity on Innovation: Evidence from Dutch Firm-Level Data," IZA Discussion Papers 6000, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2010.
"Urban economics and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Favaro, Donata & Ninka, Eniel & Turvani, Margherita, 2012. "Productivity in innovation: the role of inventor connections and mobility," MPRA Paper 38950, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ping Lv & Monica Plechero & Basant, Rakesh & Xie-Lin Liu, .
"International Competitive Strategy Choices: Comparing Firms in China and India,"
IIMA Working Papers
WP2012-01-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Ping Lv & Monica Plechero & Rakesh Basant, 2013. "International competitive strategy choices: comparing firms in China and India," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 542-558, October.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”,"
IREA Working Papers
201316, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”," AQR Working Papers 201308, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Oct 2013.
- Naomi Hausman, 2012. "University Innovation, Local Economic Growth, and Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 12-10, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Boly, Vincent & Morel, Laure & Assielou, N’Doli Guillaume & Camargo, Mauricio, 2014. "Evaluating innovative processes in french firms: Methodological proposition for firm innovation capacity evaluation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 608-622.
- Maré, David C. & Fabling, Richard & Stillman, Steven, 2011.
"Immigration and Innovation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5686, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Mare & Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1110, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman & David C. Maré, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," Working Papers 11_05, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Maksim Belitski & Julia Korosteleva, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and cities: evidence from the post-communist world," ERSA conference papers ersa11p288, European Regional Science Association.
- Neil Lee, 2013. "Cultural Diversity, Cities and Innovation: firm Effects or City Effects?," SERC Discussion Papers 0144, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2012.
"Can a knowledge-based cluster be created? The case of the Barcelona 22@ district,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 377-400, 06.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2009. "Can a knowledge-based cluster be created? The case of the Barcelona 22@district," Working Papers 2009/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.