Investor demand and spot commodity prices: Reply
AbstractIn a recent article (Tilton et al., 2011), we argue that even when investor stocks are declining an increase in investor demand can cause a commodity's price to rise, a conclusion that is both contrary to conventional wisdom and counter-intuitive. In his comment on our article, Olle Östensson (2011) challenges this finding. After assessing his concerns in this reply, we maintain that our original finding is valid: investor demand can be driving commodity prices higher even when investor stocks are falling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resources Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30467
Commodity prices; Investor demand and stocks; Speculation; Strong and weak contango; Spot and futures markets;
Other versions of this item:
- Tilton, John E. & Humphreys, David & Radetzki, Marian, 2012. "Investor demand and spot commodity prices: Reply 2," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 403-404.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
- L7 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Östensson, Olle, 2011. "Comment: Investor demand and spot commodity prices," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 372-374.
- Tilton, John E. & Humphreys, David & Radetzki, Marian, 2011. "Investor demand and spot commodity prices," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 187-195, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.