Super-efficiency based on a modified directional distance function
AbstractThe problem of infeasibility arises in conventional radial super-efficiency data envelopment analysis (DEA) models under variable returns to scale (VRS). To tackle this issue, a Nerlove–Luenberger (N–L) measure of super-efficiency is developed based on a directional distance function. Although this N–L super-efficiency model does not suffer infeasibility problem as in the conventional radial super-efficiency DEA models, it can produce an infeasible solution in two special situations. The current paper proposes to modify the directional distance function by selecting proper feasible reference bundles so that the resulting N–L measure of super-efficiency is always feasible. As a result, our modified VRS super-efficiency model successfully addresses the infeasibility issues occurring either in conventional VRS models or the N–L super-efficiency model. Numerical examples are used to demonstrate our approach and compare results obtained from various super-efficiency measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Premachandra, I.M. & Chen, Yao & Watson, John, 2011. "DEA as a tool for predicting corporate failure and success: A case of bankruptcy assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 620-626, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Zhu, Joe, 2012. "Super-efficiency infeasibility and zero data in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 429-433.
- Wu, Jie & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao, 2009. "DEA game cross-efficiency approach to Olympic rankings," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 909-918, August.
- Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Chu, Ching-Wu & Zhu, Joe, 2011. "Super-efficiency DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 141-147, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Chen, Yao, 2004. "Ranking efficient units in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 213-219, June.
- Zhong, Wei & Yuan, Wei & Li, Susan X. & Huang, Zhimin, 2011. "The performance evaluation of regional R&D investments in China: An application of DEA based on the first official China economic census data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 447-455, August.
- André, Francisco J. & Herrero, Inés & Riesgo, Laura, 2010. "A modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives with an application to agricultural economics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 371-382, October.
- Chen, Yao, 2005. "Measuring super-efficiency in DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 545-551, March.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Hervé Leleu, 2012.
"Inner and Outer Approximations of Technology: A Shadow Profit Approach,"
2012-ECO-06, IESEG School of Management.
- Leleu, Hervé, 2013. "Inner and outer approximations of technology: A shadow profit approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 868-871.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
- Ghasemi, M.-R. & Ignatius, Joshua & Emrouznejad, Ali, 2014. "A bi-objective weighted model for improving the discrimination power in MCDEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 233(3), pages 640-650.
- Fang, Hsin-Hsiung & Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan & Chung, Cheng-Chi, 2013. "A slacks-based measure of super-efficiency in data envelopment analysis: An alternative approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 731-734.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.