Pollution disclosures, pollution performance and economic performance
AbstractThis study examines the association between pollution disclosures and pollution performance and between pollution disclosures and economic performance for firms in highly polluting industries. An index of pollution disclosures is developed and correlated with indices of pollution performance and economic performance. The results confirm earlier findings that there is no association between pollution disclosures and pollution performance. As far as the association between economic performance and pollution disclosures is concerned, the results show that the subgroup of large firms with poor economic performance provides the most detailed pollution information. For smaller firms there is no association between economic performance and pollution disclosures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 10 (1982)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frédérique Dejean & Bruno Oxibar, 2003. "Pour Une Approche Alternative De L'Analyse De La Diffusion D'Information Societale," Post-Print halshs-00582767, HAL.
- Laura Poddi & Sergio Vergalli, 2008. "Does Corporate Social Responsibility Affect Firms' Performance?," Working Papers 0809, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Williams, S. Mitchell, 1999. "Voluntary environmental and social accounting disclosure practices in the Asia-Pacific region: an international empirical test of political economy theory," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 209-238, 06.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J., 2001. "An empirical evaluation of environmental efficiencies and firm performance: Pollution prevention versus end-of-pipe practice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 102-113, November.
- José Allouche & Patrice Laroche, 2005. "A Meta-analytical investigation of the relationship between corporate social and financial performance," Post-Print hal-00923906, HAL.
- Bruno Oxibar & Frédérique Déjean, 2003. "An alternative approach of corporate social disclosure analysis," Post-Print halshs-00150581, HAL.
- Oxibar, Bruno & Déjean, Frédérique, 2003. "Pour une approche alternative de la diffusion d'information sociétale," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2503, Paris Dauphine University.
- X. Meng & S. Zeng & C. Tam, 2013. "From Voluntarism to Regulation: A Study on Ownership, Economic Performance and Corporate Environmental Information Disclosure in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 217-232, August.
- Al-Tuwaijri, Sulaiman A. & Christensen, Theodore E. & Hughes, K. II, 2004. "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(5-6), pages 447-471.
- Sergio Vergalli & Laura Poddi, 2009. "Does Corporate Social Responsibility Affect the Performance of Firms?," Working Papers 2009.52, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hsu, Audrey Wen-hsin & Wang, Tawei, 2013. "Does the market value corporate response to climate change?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 195-206.
- Christine Mallin & Giovanna Michelon & Davide Raggi, 2013. "Monitoring Intensity and Stakeholders’ Orientation: How Does Governance Affect Social and Environmental Disclosure?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 114(1), pages 29-43, April.
- Foo Ho & Hui-Ming Wang & Scott Vitell, 2012. "A Global Analysis of Corporate Social Performance: The Effects of Cultural and Geographic Environments," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 107(4), pages 423-433, June.
- Stéphane Trébucq, 2011. "Une étude de la crédibilité des informations sociétales face à différentes options de reddition des comptes," Post-Print hal-00650589, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.