On the Covariance between Functions
AbstractThe covariance between the functions of two random variables is obtained in terms of the cumulative distribution function. This result generalizes previous formulae given by W. Hoeffding (1940, Schriften Math. Inst. Univ. Berlin5, 181-233) and K. V. Mardia (1967, Biometrika54, 235-249). An expansion for the covariance, an inequality, a maximum correlation and other consequences are obtained from this generalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 81 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuadras, C. M., 1992. "Probability distributions with given multivariate marginals and given dependence structure," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-66, July.
- Cuadras, C. M. & Fortiana, J., 1995. "A Continuous Metric Scaling Solution for a Random Variable," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Georges Dionne & Jingyuan Li & Cedric Okou, 2012. "An Extension of the Consumption-based CAPM Model," Cahiers de recherche 1214, CIRPEE.
- Georges Dionne & Jingyuan Li, 2012. "Comparative Ross Risk Aversion in the Presence of Quadrant Dependent Risks," Cahiers de recherche 1226, CIRPEE.
- Dewan, Isha & Rao, B.L.S. Prakasa, 2005. "Wilcoxon-signed rank test for associated sequences," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 131-142, February.
- Cuadras, Carles M. & Cuadras, Daniel, 2008. "Eigenanalysis on a bivariate covariance kernel," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2497-2507, November.
- Li, Jingyuan, 2011. "The demand for a risky asset in the presence of a background risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 372-391, January.
- Ramesh Gupta & Mohammad Tajdari & Henrik Bresinsky, 2008. "Some general results for moments in bivariate distributions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 68(2), pages 173-187, September.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2013. "Fixed versus variable rate loans under state-dependent preferences," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 659-663.
- Beare, Brendan K., 2009. "A generalization of Hoeffding's lemma, and a new class of covariance inequalities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(5), pages 637-642, March.
- Georges Dionne & Jingyuan Li, 2012. "Comparative Ross Risk Aversion in the Presence of Mean Dependent Risks," Cahiers de recherche 1211, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.