Another Look at Principal Curves and Surfaces
AbstractPrincipal curves have been defined as smooth curves passing through the "middle" of a multidimensional data set. They are nonlinear generalizations of the first principal component, a characterization of which is the basis of the definition of principal curves. We establish a new characterization of the first principal component and base our new definition of a principal curve on this property. We introduce the notion of principal oriented points and we prove the existence of principal curves passing through these points. We extend the definition of principal curves to multivariate data sets and propose an algorithm to find them. The new notions lead us to generalize the definition of total variance. Successive principal curves are recursively defined from this generalization. The new methods are illustrated on simulated and real data sets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 77 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jamshid Etezadi-Amoli & Roderick McDonald, 1983. "A second generation nonlinear factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 315-342, September.
- Victor Yohai & Werner Ackermann & Cristina Haigh, 1985. "Nonlinear principal components," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Salinelli, Ernesto, 2009. "Nonlinear principal components, II: Characterization of normal distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(4), pages 652-660, April.
- Pedro Delicado, 1998. "Statistics in archaeology: New directions," Economics Working Papers 310, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Berrendero, J.R. & Justel, A. & Svarc, M., 2011. "Principal components for multivariate functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 2619-2634, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.