Multivariate Stable Densities as Functions of One Dimensional Projections
AbstractThe density of a generald-dimensional stable random vectorXis expressed as an integral over the sphere in dof a function of the parameters of the one dimensional projections ofX. These formulas give insight into the form of multivariate stable densities and are useful for numerical calculations. Corollaries give simplified expressions for symmetric stable and the[alpha]=1 strictly stable densities, relations among the densities in different dimensions, and values of the densities at the location parameter for all cases except the[alpha]=1, non-strictly stable ones. Expressions for the densities in the multidimensional analog of Zolotarev's (M) parameterization and a discussion of computational versions of the formulas are also given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 67 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nolan, John P., 1998. "Parameterizations and modes of stable distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 187-195, June.
- Byczkowski, T. & Nolan, J. P. & Rajput, B., 1993. "Approximation of Multidimensional Stable Densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 13-31, July.
- Heather Battey & Oliver Linton, 2013.
"Nonparametric estimation of multivariate elliptic densities via finite mixture sieves,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP41/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Heather Battey & Oliver Linton, 2013. "Nonparametric estimation of multivariate elliptic densities via finite mixture sieves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Matsui, Muneya & Takemura, Akimichi, 2009. "Integral representations of one-dimensional projections for multivariate stable densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 334-344, March.
- John Nolan, 2013. "Multivariate elliptically contoured stable distributions: theory and estimation," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(5), pages 2067-2089, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.