Some New Statistics for Testing Hypotheses in Parametric Models,
AbstractThe paper deals with simple and composite hypotheses in statistical models with i.i.d. observations and with arbitrary families dominated by[sigma]-finite measures and parametrized by vector-valued variables. It introduces[phi]-divergence testing statistics as alternatives to the classical ones: the generalized likelihood ratio and the statistics of Wald and Rao. It is shown that, under the assumptions of standard type about hypotheses and model densities, the results about asymptotic distribution of the classical statistics established so far for the counting and Lebesgue dominating measures (discrete and continuous models) remain true also in the general case. Further, these results are extended to the[phi]-divergence statistics with smooth convex functions[phi]. The choice of[phi]-divergence statistics optimal from the point of view of power is discussed and illustrated by several examples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 62 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menendez, M. & Morales, D. & Pardo, L. & Vajda, I., 1995. "Divergence-Based Estimation and Testing of Statistical Models of Classification," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 329-354, August.
- Salicru, M. & Morales, D. & Menendez, M. L. & Pardo, L., 1994. "On the Applications of Divergence Type Measures in Testing Statistical Hypotheses," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 372-391, November.
- Chalabi, Yohan & Wuertz, Diethelm, 2012. "Portfolio optimization based on divergence measures," MPRA Paper 43332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Broniatowski, M. & Leorato, S., 2006. "An estimation method for the Neyman chi-square divergence with application to test of hypotheses," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(6), pages 1409-1436, July.
- B. Abraham & P. Sankaran, 2006. "Renyi's entropy for residual lifetime distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 17-29, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.