Multivariate measures of skewness for the skew-normal distribution
AbstractThe main objective of this work is to calculate and compare different measures of multivariate skewness for the skew-normal family of distributions. For this purpose, we consider the Mardia (1970)Â , Malkovich and Afifi (1973) , Isogai (1982)Â , Srivastava (1984) , Song (2001) , Móri etÂ al. (1993) , Balakrishnan etÂ al. (2007)  and Kollo (2008)  measures of skewness. The exact expressions of all measures of skewness, except for Song's, are derived for the family of skew-normal distributions, while Song's measure of shape is approximated by the use of delta method. The behavior of these measures, their similarities and differences, possible interpretations, and their practical use in testing for multivariate normal are studied by evaluating their power in the case of some specific members of the multivariate skew-normal family of distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 104 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kollo, Tõnu, 2008. "Multivariate skewness and kurtosis measures with an application in ICA," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2328-2338, November.
- Genton, Marc G. & He, Li & Liu, Xiangwei, 2001. "Moments of skew-normal random vectors and their quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-325, February.
- Srivastava, M. S., 1984. "A measure of skewness and kurtosis and a graphical method for assessing multivariate normality," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(5), pages 263-267, October.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Balakrishnan, N. & Capitanio, A. & Scarpa, B., 2014. "A test for multivariate skew-normality based on its canonical form," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 19-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.