Measuring performance in a dynamic world: Conditional mean-variance fundamentals
AbstractWe develop conditional alpha performance measures that are consistent with conditional mean-variance analysis and the magnitude and sign of the implied true conditional time-varying alphas. The sequence of conditional alphas and betas is estimable from surprisingly simple unconditional regressions. Other common performance measures are derivable from the conditional investment opportunity set based on its conditional asset return moments. Our bootstrap analysis of Morningstar mutual fund returns data demonstrates that the differences between existing conditional alpha measures and our proposed alpha are substantive for typical parameterizations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Conditional performance measurement Conditional mean-variance analysis Conditional Jensen's alpha;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lehmann, Bruce N. & Modest, David M., 1988. "The empirical foundations of the arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 213-254, September.
- Mark M. Carhart & Jennifer N. Carpenter & Anthony W. Lynch & David K. Musto, 2002. "Mutual Fund Survivorship," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1439-1463.
- Campbell, John, 1987.
"Stock Returns and the Term Structure,"
3207699, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "A First Look at the Accuracy of the CRSP Mutual Fund Database and a Comparison of the CRSP and Morningstar Mutual Fund Databases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2415-2430, December.
- Christopherson, Jon A & Ferson, Wayne E & Glassman, Debra A, 1998.
"Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 111-42.
- Jon A. Christopherson & Wayne E. Ferson & Debra A. Glassman, 1996. "Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance," NBER Working Papers 5830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guercio, Diane Del & Tkac, Paula A., 2002. "The Determinants of the Flow of Funds of Managed Portfolios: Mutual Funds vs. Pension Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(04), pages 523-557, December.
- José-Miguel Gaspar & Massimo Massa & Pedro Matos, 2006. "Favoritism in Mutual Fund Families? Evidence on Strategic Cross-Fund Subsidization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 73-104, 02.
- Shanken, Jay, 1990. "Intertemporal asset pricing : An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 99-120.
- Treynor, Jack L & Black, Fischer, 1973. "How to Use Security Analysis to Improve Portfolio Selection," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 66-86, January.
- Ho, Chienwei & Hung, Chi-Hsiou, 2009. "Investor sentiment as conditioning information in asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 892-903, May.
- Frauendorfer, Karl & Jacoby, Ulrich & Schwendener, Alvin, 2007. "Regime switching based portfolio selection for pension funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2265-2280, August.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-61, June.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Abhyankar, Abhay & Basu, Devraj & Stremme, Alexander, 2007. "Portfolio efficiency and discount factor bounds with conditioning information: An empirical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 419-437, February.
- Vassilios Babalos & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Nikolaos Philippas, 2013.
"Measuring Alpha in the Fund Management Industry: Do Female Managers Perform Better?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1300, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Vassilis Babalos & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Nikolaos Philippas, 2013. "Measuring Alpha in the Fund Management Industry: Do Female Managers Perform Better?," CESifo Working Paper Series 4275, CESifo Group Munich.
- Berger, Dave & Turtle, H.J., 2011. "Emerging market crises and US equity market returns," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 32-41.
- Berger, Dave & Turtle, H.J., 2012. "Cross-sectional performance and investor sentiment in a multiple risk factor model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1107-1121.
- Turtle, H.J. & Zhang, Chengping, 2012. "Time-varying performance of international mutual funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 334-348.
- Chesney, Marc & Reshetar, Ganna & Karaman, Mustafa, 2011. "The impact of terrorism on financial markets: An empirical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 253-267, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.