Monotone optimal control for a class of Markov decision processes
AbstractThis paper provides a unified framework to study monotone optimal control for a class of Markov decision processes through D-multimodularity. We demonstrate that each system in this class can be classified as either a substitution-type or a complement-type system according to the possible transition set, which can be used as a classification mechanism that integrates a variety of models in the literature. We develop a generic proof of the structural properties of both types of system. In particular, we show that D-multimodularity is a generally sufficient condition for monotone optimal control of different types of system in this class. With this unified theory, there is no need to pursue each problem ad hoc and the structural properties of this class of MDPs follow with ease.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Markov processes; D-multimodularity; Monotone optimal control; Substitution; Complement;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Albert Y. Ha, 1997. "Inventory Rationing in a Make-to-Stock Production System with Several Demand Classes and Lost Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(8), pages 1093-1103, August.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Susana V. Mondschein, 1997. "Periodic Pricing of Seasonal Products in Retailing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(1), pages 64-79, January.
- Wen Zhao & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing for Perishable Assets with Nonhomogeneous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 375-388, March.
- Ghoneim, Hussein A. & Stidham, Shaler, 1985. "Control of arrivals to two queues in series," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 399-409, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.